Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Visit To A Student's Home

There is a family of boys at St. Gerald who I knew very well when I lived here in 2005-2007. Their mother died when the boys were very young and their father is an alcoholic and unable to care for them. Years ago, the third boy was permanently expelled from St. Gerald for discipline issues and they sent the oldest brother (in 6th grade) home with him to take care of him.

Once the oldest was ready to attend high school the sponsor that was helping agreed to only pay for one of the two oldest boys (secondary education is not free in Kenya). Since the oldest one was living at home taking care of his younger brother and attending the public school his grades were very low. Therefore, they selected to pay for boarding school for the second brother who had been at St. Gerald for all of his primary school and was performing well.

The oldest one is now in his second year of high school at the local day school. I was told that I needed to go assess the situation, as it is not good. So when the schools closed I had two of the brothers take me to their home. We stopped in Nyeri to get some basic food items which I knew they wouldn't have at home. Then we took the matatu to their house. We arrived at their village and walked down the side of the mountain to their home. It is a traditional wood home with mud floors and surrounded by many green banana trees. I was instantly greeted by a warm, welcoming smile of the boy I hadn't seen in 6 years with feet that hadn't seen shoes in possibly as long. I asked him how school was going and he said not very well as he is often sent home from school because his father cannot afford to pay the school fees. Then he went on to say "and things are difficult".  I asked him, "what is difficult?" and his response was "often there isn't any food". It's hard to explain the emotion I feel when I hear this directly from a child. First it's anger- how can someone allow their child to go without food? How can the neighbors allow this? How can God allow this? Then I question "why was I given so much yet there are kids without food?" And then the answer is as clear as can be "I was given much in order to help those without".

You might ask why he doesn't get a job, but in Kenya jobs are few and jobs for students without a high school certificate/diploma are basically nonexistent. The best they can do is try to have a small garden on the plot they do have to grow something.

As you can see education is very important just to qualify for a job. But even more importantly for our underprivileged children is the safety and meals that are provided in school. When they are in boarding school I know they are at least fed and safe for 9 months of the year.

This boys is one of many that we have in similar situations. If you are interested in sponsoring one of our students for high school or a one time contribution towards their school fees, go to kenyaeducationfund.org and click "donate now". Include a note that it is for Sheila Murphy's kids.

1 comment: